Is a Dad a Dad if his name isn’t on the birth certificate?

Written by Charlie T. Boyle |
Attorney Charles T. Boyle | Farr Law | Serving Southwest Florida (image)

Charles T. Boyle, Attorney
Charlie has been Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Marital and Family Law since 1995 and primarily focuses his practice in this area. He also practices in civil litigation and real estate.

This link addresses issues regarding the rights of a biological father who is not married to the mother and whose name is not on the child’s birth certificate.  In Florida under these facts the biological father has essentially no rights with regard to the child unless and until the court enters an order adjudicating him to be the father.  At the same time he may be accumulating arrearages for child support without being able to enjoy any of the rights of a parent.